Hazarduari Place: Hazarduari Palace earlier known as the Bara Kothi, is located in the campus of Kila Nizamat in Murshidabad, in the Indian state of West Bengal. It was built in the nineteenth century by architect Duncan Macleod, under the reign of Nawab Nazim Humayun Jah of Bengal, Bihar and Orissa (1824–1838). The foundation stone of the palace was laid on August 9, 1829, and that very day the construction work was started. William Cavendish was the then Governor-General. Now, Hazarduari Palace is the most conspicuous building in Murshidabad.
Nawab Bahadur's Institution: Munni Begum, wife of Nawab Mir Jafar was a benevolent lady. She donated a few lakhs of rupees to the Brit¬ish Government for expanding education not only among the Nizamut family members but also for the general public. With the money, two Schools sprang up-one at the Hindu Boarding house for the general public and the other at the present site (Institution). At both the Schools, the wards of the Nizamut family used to get education free. After some time, both the schools were amalgamated and they took the present shape and then called the Nawab Behadur's Institution.
The Wasif Manzil: The late Nawab Bahadur of Murshidabad Sir Syud WasifAli Meerza constructed the present new Palace as also the artificial hilocks along with its garden at the South of the Hazarduari Palace and was known as 'Landscape Garden'. It had got artificial mountains and marble statues brought from foreign lands. Many members of the Nizamut family lived here. At present, the Government of West Bengal through the Judicial Department has taken over management of the Estate and it has been turned into official residence cum office.
The Tomb of Naisuri Banu: There is the tomb of Naisuro Bann, wife of Murshid Kuli Khan in front of the big misque at the Chawk Bazar.
Jagat Seth's House: About 3 km from Murshidabad Railway Station there lies the Jagat Seth's House in the north of Nashipur. It is now lying in a dilapidated condition. At the time of Murshid Kuli Kha, Manik Chand, son of Hiranadna, came to Murshidabad and established a Mint in front of his residence in the Western Bank of the Bhagirathi. From Manick Chand, Jagat Seth originated. Indra Chand on receiving the title from the then British Government was known as "Jagat Seth".
Nashipur Rajbari: Near about the house of Jagat Seth; lay the house of ill-famed Debi Singha who is historically renowned. When Murshidabad was at the top of its glory, Debi Singha came here from distant land of Panipath for trade. After a good trial, he succeeded in getting an appointment in the Revenue Department under Dewan Reza Khan. Gradually, he was able to exert his influence among the people of English Company and became all in all in that Department. After the great famine of 1776, a good many people died throughout Bengal. At that time, in order to realize revenue, he created Panic among the tenants through his unbearable torture and brute oppression. Nashipur was his birth-place. The present Nashipur Raj dynasty has sprung from Copal Singha, son of Balwant Singh, who was the adopted son of Debi Singha.
Nashipur Akhra: Nashipur Akhra is situated near Nashipur Rajbari on the eastern side of the Bhagirathi. The Mahanta of the Akhra is to remain bachelor for good. Here, every year, Jhulan Yatra is performed when a large number of people from far off villages assemble here to witness the dramas held on this occasion. There are a good number of deities who are worshipped every day by the priests.
Kadam Sarif: Nashipur Akhra is situated near Nashipur Rajbari on the eastern side of the Bhagirathi. The Mahanta of the Akhra is to remain bachelor for good. Here, every year, Jhulan Yatra is performed when a large number of people from far off villages assemble here to witness the dramas held on this occasion. There are a good number of deities who are worshipped every day by the priests.
Humayun Manzil: Nawab Nazim Humayun Jah in order to pass his lei¬sure time got a beautiful farm-house constructed, a little far off from the Kadam Sharif. It is known as 'Humanyun Manzil'. This Humayun Manzil or Mobaraq Manzil was constructed in the year 1831. This palae is now lying like debris.
Topekhana: Topekhana is situated at the South-Eastern corner of the Katra mosque. Murshidabad-Kuli-Khan constructed the armory. This armory was built up beside Gobra Nala, a branch of the Bhagirathi, at the protected place. For this reason, this place is called "Topekhana".
Khosh Bagh: There is arrangement for trawler (speed Boat) for crossing over to Khosbagh and Motijheel over the Ganges from the Ghat near the New Palace, Or after crossing the Lalbagh ferry ghat and proceeding 1 km to the South on the West bank of the Bhagirathi, one can reach Khoshbagh. Here, Nawab Ali Vardi, Sirajudowila and his wife Lutfa have been cremated. On the east of the tomb of Sirajudowalla.
Roshni Bagh: The tomb if Sujauddin, son-in-law of Murshid Kuli Khan, is situated at a place South of Hirajheel on the Western bank of the river Bhagirathi. The Army Chief of the Marathas, Bhaskar Pandit, constructed a temple of the God Ekalinga Dev, the idol being of white marble. Even now, the local gentry of the village Elahiganjd, arrange a fair at Roshanibagh for about a week during the first week of the Bengali month of Chatira when there is a large congregation of villagers from far-off places to attend it. The place is well decorated and illuminated with lights. Various types of folk-songs, recitations, songs, Kawali¬songs' etc. are sung and competitors take part in the competition. Prizes are also given to the best singers and other competitors who take part in the competition.
Hirajheel: On hearing about the beauty of the MotiJheel. Siraju-dowlla got his favorite Hirajheel' constructed on the Western Bank of the Bhagirathi. At present, it is within the womb of the Ganges. It is heard that he tactfully imprisoned his dearest grandfather Ali Vardi Khan in one of the rooms and realized five lakhs of rupees as pawn money.
Madina Mosque: This mosque is situated in between the Hazarduari Palace and the Imambara within the Killa compound. It is heard the Nawab Sirajudowila himself brought mud from Karbala on his own head and placed them at the Madina. It is kept open for a look at the Muharrum festival by the general public, but it is kept closed throughout the year.
Bachhawali Tope (Cannon): There is a big cannon placed on a built-up alter (platfrom). These cannon were recovered from the Bhagirathi during the reign of Nawab Humayun Jah. It requires nearly 18 kg of gun-powder for firing. While firing, the people of about 10 miles round-about were alerted. It is rumored that the sound of firing of the said cannon was so terrible that pregnant women had their miscarriages. For this, the name of the Cannon has become 'Bachhawali Tope' (cannon). The front portion of the cannon has been sealed up.
The Mosque at Chawk Bazar: This mosque is situated at the West of Chawk Bazar and to the east of the Hazarduari Palace beside the main road. Mani Begum, the wife of Mir Jafar had constructed it. Here, there is the tomb of Wazed Ali Binaka.
Katgola Garden: From Murshidabad Chawk Bazar towards the North, after Nashipur Rajbati, there is a big garden house at the North-eastern side which is known as "Katgola Garden". Here is situated the Paresh Nath Temple made of white marble-stone. Within the temple, there is the statue of Paresh Nath made of marble-stone. Lachmi Prosad is its fouder. In this garden, there stands a beautiful palace in which there can be seen valuable paintings, mirrors and valuable furniture. A good many statues on horse-back are also worth-seeing here.
Juffraganj Palace: From Nashipur Rajbrti, about 1 km South on the eastern bank of the river Bhagitathi and on the right hand side of the road, lies the palace of the hero of treachery Mir Jafar Ali Khan. It is now lying in a dilapidated condition and has been turned into debris. Miron, son of Mir Jafar, kept Sirajudowlla in captivity in one of the rooms of the Juffragunj Palace. Mohammadi Begg killed Sirajudowlla brutally at the orders of Miran and hence, this palace is known as `Nimak-haram Dehori".
Juffragunj Cemetry: This Cemetry is situated beside the main road a few distances off the Juffragunj Palace on the east. At first, there was a 'Kitchen-garden' here and Begum Sah Khanam liked it very much. Afterwards, it is being used as a Cemetry. Here all the Nawab Nazims and their descendants (except Miran, and Feradun Jail) had been cremated. Begum Sah Khanam was cremated in the year 1766.
Tomb of Azimunnissa Begum: A little way off from the Juffragunj cemetry, there lies the Mohimapur T.O.P. Here on the eastern bank of the river Bhagirathi lies the tomb of Azimunnessa, daughter of Murshid Kuli Khan. It is heard that once she fell seriously ill and as per the advice of the Hakim, she recovered from ill¬ness after having medicine prepared with the liver of an in¬fant secretly. But after recovery, she became accustomed with having the liver of an infant secretly. But the Nawab coming to know of the fact, instructed his men to cremate her alive.
The Stable: The Stable is situated on the east of Panchraha Bazar of Murshidabad town. It was built during the period of Murshid Kuli Khan for keeping the horses, camels, elephants, deer, lambs etc. In the rooms of the Stable, Iraque and Ara¬bian horses, camels, and elephants etc. were kept. For the proper upkeep of animals, a good many employees had to work under the supervision of a Daroga. The Stable is now lying idle and is in a precarious condition. No animals are kept here after the death of the existing animals.
Futi Mosque: There is a mosque within the jungle to the west of the Karta mosque. It is heard that Sarfaraj Khan the grandson of Murshid Kuli Khan, had this mosque constructed.
Katra Mosque: The tomb of Murshid-Kuli-Khan known as katra mosque is situated at the North-Eastern side of the present Ms urshidabad City. After crossing the Murshidabad Railway Station, beyond the Lalbagh sub-Jail, the Katra mosque can be visited after going a little distance in the Northern-side. It is known from the written account left by the historians that Murshid-kuii-Khan.
Motijheel: Motijheel is situated 1.5 km away from the Murshidabad town in the South. The son-in-law of Vardi Khan, Nowaies Mohammed, excavated this Jheel and also constructed a precious palatial Building beside the keel for the purpose of residence of his beloved wife Ghaseti Bagum. This palace was decorated with different varieties of flower-plants and precious marbles. It is heard that Sirajudowlla being zealous at the pomp and grandeur of this palace, got another very beautiful palace Hirajheel constructed on the opposite side of the Bhagirathi after incurring huge amount of money. There is a big room having no doors or windows in it and closed on all the four sides. It is a wonder to the visitors. Some says that huge quantity of wealth belonging to Ghaseti Begum had been kept hidden in it. Here, there is a big room having no doors or windows in it and closed on all the four sides. It is a wonder to the visitors. Some says that huge quantity of wealth belonging to Ghaseti Begum had been kept hidden in it. An Englishman who tried to unearth the wealth stealthily by digging, met with a fatal end by vomitting blood within a short time.
The present Imambara is visible in front of the Hazarduari Palace. The Imambara is known to be the biggest one at present. Prior to the construction of his Imambara there existed an Imambara made by Sirajudowlla made of woods at the very site. But as it was destroyed in the devastating fire in 1846, during the reign of Fera dunjah within a year, the present. Imambara was constructed in 1848. Nearly rupees seven lakhs (valued at the then price index) were spent for its construction. Beforehand, arrangement for a fair was conducted here in connection with Mohrram festival and entertainment of the poor and crippled was made. Besides their food and lodging, arrangement for various other help was done. At present, there is no such pomp and grandeur during the Mohurram festival as allotment for monetary expenditure has been curtailed. Still, every year a fair is arranged for a few days in front of the road leading to the Hazarduari Palace on this occasion. Both Hindus and Muslims, young, old and infirm offer 'Sine' at the Imambara.